The key to eternal youth is healthy skin.. Ok not quite, but if you want your skin to look healthy as well as doing everything you can to slow down the ageing process, then a solid skincare routine is really important. Heres our no nonsense guide to the 6 best skincare ingredients you should make sure is in your daily routine.
Its all too easy to fall prey to beauty companies marketing and packaging that insists their products will totally transform our lives – but in reality they don’t often do a fat lot.
Just because your skin feels soft or moisturised, doesn’t mean its getting all the nutrition it needs to stay healthy. There are a number of key ingredients we should be using from the age of 30 onwards. Plus you’re never too young or old to start with a good skincare routine.
So, what ingredients do we actually need to for healthy skin and to slow the ageing process?
One of the members of the British association dermatologists, Dr Justine Kluk recommends 6 effective ingredients to nurture and protect your skin.
- SPF – Always use an broad spectrum SPF. Preferably factor 30 or above. This means it will PROTECT your skin from the UVA and UVB rays that damage the skin, cause skin cancer and accelerate ageing.
- Retinol – Comes from Vitamin A and is known to help resurface the skin and promote a healthy turnover of skin cells. It is also proven to increase collagen, reduce lines and wrinkles as well as fading dark spots and reducing pore size.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) – Products that contain alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) such as Glycolic, Lactic or Salicylic acids act as exfoliators. These products can help prevent the build up of dead skin cells, unblock pores and brighten your skin tone.
- Peptides – These tiny proteins and active molecules send messages to the skin to increase collagen production. Using face cream that contains peptides triggers the production of collagen to help minimise wrinkles, whilst plumping and smoothing the skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Another great product to introduce to your bedtime routine is Hyaluronic acid. This is humectant which means it can hold a thousand x its weight in water, helping to hydrate the skin.
- Vitamin C – Is powerful antioxidant which is needed to help repel oxidative stress that breaks down collagen. with anti-inflammatory properties and even reduces pigmentation. It can also help brighten the skin and reduce pigmentation as well as helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles!!
At The Body Clinic we recommend the skincare brand Sesderma. Their cosmeceutical products and brand is taking the UK’s beauty industry by storm. With 25 years of international success, it is a brand known for ‘listening to your skin.’
Sesderma offer a wide range of skin care products including all of the ingredients above.
Why not visit us for a free skin analysis so we can recommend what products are best for you.